Nominations Open: Stacy Award for Teaching Excellence
The Hawaii State Teachers Association Award for Teaching Excellence program celebrates the outstanding work of Hawaii Public School Teachers in the following categories:
- Scholarship - Engagement in experiences to improve his or her own practice and commitment to use one’s own professional development to positively impact the profession as a teacher, as a member of the school community and as a member of the larger community.
- Teaching - Demonstration of instructional expertise, leadership, creativity and innovation that effectively addresses students’ different learning styles and needs.
- Advocacy - Advancement of the teaching profession, public education and public school students as an active and vocal union member and union leader.
- Community - Interaction with parents and other community members regarding substantive education issues and the opportunities to connect the community to the classroom.
- Youth - Development of a learning environment that appropriately supports the diversity of strengths and needs of all students through curriculum, instruction, climate setting and interaction.
Nominations must include a description and evidence of how the nominee demonstrates each of the five elements of the STACY Award.
Stacy Nishina was a teacher, HSTA member, and on the HSTA staff. Because of her dedication to public education and helping to make students successful, she touched many lives. Throughout her career, she was committed to supporting the profession of teaching. Therefore, Stacy is the inspiration for this teaching excellence award.