New teachers: You need a license or permit to teach in Hawaii

All teachers, librarians and counselors serving at least half time in a Hawaii Department of Education or Charter school are required to hold a valid license or “Emergency Hire” permit. Obtaining and maintaining your license or permit is part of your professional responsibility as an educator.

Be sure to check your status at www.hawaiiteacherstandardsboard.org.  

If you are unable to access your account, please email htsb@hawaii.gov and request your login information and temporary password. Include your full name and last four digits of your social security number in the message.  

Hawaii law imposes a penalty of $500 for any teacher, counselor or librarian in a DOE public or charter school without a valid license or permit. The deadline to avoid this penalty or being placed on leave without pay is October 5, 2018. DOE principals/administrators who knowingly employ individuals without an active license or permit may also be fined $500 per employee.

Thanks to your HSTA contract, if only the annual license fee is due in any given year, the DOE pays the license fee if a classroom teacher is tenured and had an effective or better rating on their previous evaluation. This benefit begins in year four of employment.

If the teacher's license expires in the current year, they must go in prior to the expiration date of 6/30/xx and renew their license, and, if they meet the above requirements, the DOE pays the fee. If they do not renew, their fee will not be paid.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the HTSB. They are here to assist you!  

Author: Keoki Kerr

Categories: NewsNumber of views: 610