Stipends available through the Grow Our Own Teachers Initiative

Learn about this partnership between the Hawaii Department of Education and University of Hawaii at Manoa College of Education

Stipends are available for Hawaii residents who would like to pursue a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teacher Education (PBCTE) in Secondary Education at the University of Hawaii at Manoa's College of Education.

Emergency hires, substitutes, and educational assistants are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity so they can expand their knowledge and gain substantial raises by becoming full-fledged licensed teachers.

Stipends cover the cost of tuition and fees, subject to availability of funds, as long as the recipient commits to three years of full-time teaching in their licensed field at a HIDOE or public charter school among other criteria.

Here are the steps to apply for PBCTE:

  1. Apply to PBCTE through Makalei.
  2. Submit a UH Manoa System application ($70 non-refundable application fee).
  3. Optional: Priority will be given to those who have a letter of recommendation from their school administrator.
  4. Content knowledge verification (higher priority will be given to those seeking licensure in HIDOE Federal Teacher Shortage Areas, including English, ESL, Math, Science, World Languages, Hawaiian language, and Hawaiian immersion).

The deadline to apply is Oct. 1.

The 18-month program will take place as follows:

  • Spring: Three courses including two field days
  • Summer: Two courses
  • Fall: Three courses including two field days
  • Spring: Two courses including full-time student teaching

Click here for more information about the Grow Our Own Initiative.

If you have any questions, fill out an online contact form here.