The Hawaii State Teachers Association is proud to offer Office Hours, a series of online seminars designed to educate and inform our new educators on a variety of topics.
We asked new educators what they needed more support for, whether they were new to the profession or new to Hawaii’s public school system. Here were the top requested topics:
- Extended professional development courses for credit (53%)
- Understanding your salary placement and paycheck (45%)
- Understanding your contract rights and benefits (41%)
- Understanding your leave benefits (33%)
- Health care benefits (30%)
- Student debt and/or finances (29%)
- Culture and history of Hawaii (26%)
- Benefits of belonging to HSTA (25%)
Here are the sessions we have scheduled so far. When you register for a specific seminar, you will be sent a link to connect with us virtually for that session.
Sing the Pre-K–1 Standards: Using music videos to accelerate learning
Tuesday, April 6, at 4 p.m.
Participants will learn strategies for effectively and efficiently incorporating reading and math music videos into quality lessons. You’ll learn to use songs to promote a positive classroom atmosphere; to introduce, teach, and review concepts; to promote inquiry; and to create student-generated rubrics and assessments. You’ll also learn about a free opportunity to learn more while earning three PDE3 credits.Register
Financial planning for new parents
Friday, April 23, at 3:30 p.m.
This seminar is for new parents and parents to be. We will cover many of the financial aspects of being a new parent, such as life and disability insurance, college planning, and budgeting. There will also be a brief introduction to the State of Hawaii ERS.Register