HSTA's Baby Shower supports members as they start, expand their families

This spring break event covered leave, benefits and finance options


Dozens of members who were expecting or thinking about starting a family attended HSTA's Baby Shower over spring break.

The event was a one-stop shop to address questions regarding leave, benefits and finances that come with a new addition to the family.

Our UniServ Directors, as well as EUTF, NEA Member Benefits and HMSA representatives were available to field questions.

Guests were also treated to lunch, baby shower games and fun giveaways.

We have a two-page tip sheet available for download here. NOTE: You must be logged in with your registered account to access this area of our website.

If you have any further questions, please contact your closest HSTA office by phone or submit an online inquiry here.


HMSA members can sign up for HMSA's free pregnancy support program, which pairs expecting mothers with a maternity nurse who can provide personalized education and counseling. The program lasts through your pregnancy and for one month after your baby is born, and is meant to complement, not replace, prenatal care by your ob-gyn. You can enroll as soon as your pregnancy is confirmed by calling (808) 948-6079 on Oahu or 1 (800) 776-4672 toll-free on the neighbor islands.


Review the following checklist to enroll your newborn into EUTF health insurance benefits. Fill out an EC-1 enrollment form (or EC-1H for those enrolled in HSTA VB plans), which can be downloaded here. Submit your signed form with appropriate supporting documents to your departmental human resources office or enrollment designee. DOE employees must submit their forms to DOE-EBU, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804.

  • EC-1/EC-1H enrollment form (due within 180 days of birth date, but the sooner, the better)
  • Birth certificate (only if newborn has a different last name than you, the employee)
  • Social security number (due within 180 days of birth date)
  • Optional: Updated USAble Life Group Term Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form

Note: You may add your spouse/partner/dependent child to your EUTF health insurance plans at the time of the birth event, even if your spouse/partner/dependent child wasn't on benefits previously. If doing so, you must submit proper supporting documents (i.e. marriage certificate or domestic partnership paperwork) before EUTF can process your request.