The Hawaii State Teachers Association plans to expand its Communications Department by adding a second communications specialist to the staff.
To round out the skillsets of our current three-person communications team, HSTA seeks someone with a strong background in designing and producing infographics and flyers, managing social media, and writing in-depth stories.
Among the essential duties and responsibilities:
- Gather, write, edit and produce content for a diverse range of communications media.
- Design, write and coordinate the production and distribution of HSTA collateral pieces.
- Write and distribute news releases and media kits, and coordinate news conferences.
- Send out email bulletins to subscribers using email marketing software.
- Attend meetings and other functions to provide news and/or photographic coverage of those events as appropriate.
- Maintain an effective and positive relationship with media representatives, union members, and the community.
- Monitor and edit the HSTA website, social media and other online presence of HSTA to ensure current and accurate content.
- Proofread, edit, fact check, and verify accuracy of content.
HSTA desires the following experience and education for the communications position:
- Five years of professional experience in actively writing and disseminating information through various media.
- Five years of project management experience in public relations, marketing, and/or advertising.
- Experience using iOS operating system and Apple office suite software.
- Experience in writing for public relations, news media and/or online media.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in journalism, communications, public relations/marketing, or related field.